Friday, September 14, 2012

'One of a Kind' Mini Album Review

G-dragon, one of the greatest kpop icons has released his first mini album or EP rather because he came out with an album first in 2009 lol. Anyways, he's back and ready to shit on everyone's career in the kpop industry at the moment. Cuz that's how we do at YG, if you're not shutting anything or anyone down on the charts, then you can't be in YG. That's the rule. Shut it down or go home lol. Sorry JYP, sorry TS Entertainment, sorry CCM, but yall can take several seats until GD steps down from his throne. And what.

One of a Kind: I already did a review for this song, but once again, I'll just say how amazing this song is, although it isn't flawless. What makes it flawless is the instrumental, Choice outdid himself with this song. It's amazing, I just wish GD wasn't so wishy washy with the flow and lyrics of the song. However, it's amazing and serves its purpose. LOVE it. Plus, I can twerk to it all day and still not get tired of the song.


The music video has plenty of metaphors and I love how complex it actually is. Apart from the foolishness with the hair and his ridiculous take on black culture, it's a great video. Awesome!!!

Crayon: This song....he's taking his flow to a different level. I can tell he's been listening to a lot of African-American rappers, it's very evident. The way he raps in this song is closely related to Lil Wayne, Chris Brown(when he raps), and others. Not that I'm dissing him, I think it's great that he can still be so versatile and learning from others. But I think it's time for us to get rid of the word swag. It's overrated even though he had immense "swag".  As for everything else, I LOVE it. I'm getting my "cray" on lol. You can certainly jam this in the club. I loveeeeee the "Ehhhhh~~" at the end, it's a great way to close the song. The song is very basic however in my opinion, but it serves its purpose once again. It's a good title song, he still has the hip hop element to it infused with the electronic/techno stuff going on.

Amazing video, hilarious and witty, I love G-dragon he's so sexy and silly. GREAT video, perfectly fits with the song. It's very basic however it's not something I would expect and yet it totally fits. Kudos to everyone in YG who are more creative than any other label except for NEGA or Loen...their videos are different lol

Eventually ft ? from New girl group: He slows it down for us here, an upbeat ballad sort of. I don't like that he autotuned his voice when he sang, but I like his rap. There's nothing AMAZING about this ballad, it's a nice touch to the album but there's nothing to it honestly. I didn't get goosebumps or anything, it didn't make me feel. And that's weird. I normally feel something from all of Gd's sentimental songs or his productions, but I don't here. And the new girl didn't add anything either. She has a nice voice, but she's too young sounding in my opinion. It's GREAT for her age, but it doesn't make the song any better. It's random, it doesn't sound mature to me. I didn't FEEL anything from her. I think he could've kept this song in the vault.

That XX: I love this song, it's so calming and peaceful. At first, I didn't like it fully, but the 2nd time I heard it, I fell in love. He sounds really genuine here, his voice is authentic here but that's just because it's an acoustic song haha. It sounds really personal, that's what I love about G-dragon. He is a genius, so I want to here his BEST work all the time, and this one is one of them. In terms of production. The composition is amazing. I don't really care for the lyrics, but it's very clever. I love it.


Amazing video. Once again, there's a hidden metaphor here. I love the cinematography on how the lenses change when we change points of views. It's great, it compliments the song really well.

Missing You ft Kim Yuna of Jaurim: This is a very laid back, throwback 80's pop song and it's AMAZING. Seriously. And the female compliments the song flawlessly. Her voice is perfect for this song. I wish he sang in falsetto though for this, but he used Yuna's voice for that instead, so it works. It's really simple and laid back, I love it. AMAZING.

Today ft Kim Jong Wan of Nell: Jong Wan's voice is amazing and perfect, I don't care for anything else in this song honestly. The song is eh. Not what I expected of him, it reminds me of that song he did in the 'Gd & TOP' album that made no sense lol. After listening to it more, it's upbeat and fun, but I don't care for it. It's a miss for me.
Light it Up ft Tablo and Dok2: Awwwwww yea, this song has finally been released and I LOVE IT. Best song off the album, you can twerk to it, you can dance to it on the way to class. everything. Tablo sounds soooo sexy, his rapping voice is UGH. Dok2 did good as expecting, I love Gd's line with "All these lame mahfuckers don't know how to act" GO AHEAD G-DRAGON, tell him! Shit on their career! Anyways, great song. Love it. I wish there was a video, or they perform it live or something. GREAT SONG.

Overall: This album is not consistent for me. And I hate inconsistency, because then it sounds rushed, and not complete. This mini album reminds me of the 5th Big Bang mini album that came out last year. How I felt about that album, is the same way I feel about this album. It's missing something. I know that G-dragon is not a redundant person, he likes to experiment with different sounds and genres and sometimes it works for him. The 'Heartbreaker' album was really good and of the best kpop albums created, because it showcased who G-dragon was as an artist and composer. However in this album, it's missing some heart. 'One of a Kind' has a great beat, 'That XX' has great acoustics and feeling, 'Missing You' has a great feel to it but everything is some thing he just whipped up to create a mini album. I'm sorry. 'Crayon' sounds typical and 'Today' sounds like anyone could create that song. And 'Eventually' just lacks feeling to me. BUT I'm not saying the album isn't good, it's one of the best coming from a kpop artist so far this year. It's just missing something. Like Big Bang's album this year, start to finish it was flawless and amazing, I loved every song. But now, with this, I feel like GD was forced to make a comeback because everyone started doing solo activities during the break of the tour. 
I was expecting more that's all, but honestly it's a great album, just not consistent and it's missing something. But I love G-dragon nonetheless, he's still arguably a genius. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Kpop Craze

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi